“Sleigh bells ring, are you listenin? Down the lane, snow
is glistenin..”
Is it just me or do you hear Christmas music playing
practically everywhere you go? Nonetheless, it’s December and you know what
that means…Christmas is fast approaching! Only 16 days left. Phew! Where did
the time go?!
The months definitely fly by especially when it’s December.
I mean with all the gift-shopping that we do and holiday preparations that we
make, how can it not, right?! Sometimes I wish there was at least a week between
December and January where money would fall from the sky instead of snow at
least for a day just so we could relax and sew the holes that we’ve created in
our pockets. *SIiigh* A girl can dream. But personally though, December is my
favourite month and I know a lot of you are with me on this. And there are
multiple reasons why. First off, it’s not just because of the presents, but for
the festive ambience this month brings. People are jovial, places seem brighter
& cheerful thanks to the Christmas lights, decorations and festive music. ‘Tis
the season to be jolly indeed! Second, we forget the true meaning of Christmas
and its origin but it actually means to prepare for the coming of Christ. What
does it mean for us? It means not only to celebrate his birth (which we’re very
good at. Hello Holiday Parties!), but also to reflect on our lives and what HE
has done for us the past year and what you can do in return to share the joy to
other people. This leads me to my final reason, the opportunity to put a smile
on someone’s face, making their holidays that much merrier! There are
opportunities everywhere, all the time, to create a difference in someone’s
life, even if it’s just a little bit. But remember: That tad bit may mean a lot
to that person. All you have to do is open your eyes, & be attentive. Important point: This does not necessarily
involve money. There are different ways you can share the holiday spirit such
as giving someone a much needed hug, getting in touch with someone you haven’t
talked to, donating, etc. The important thing is you gave back and the
feel-good feeling you get after is just the icing on the cake.
To tell you the truth, what I just talked about in the
previous paragraph did not even occur to me before I saw this tree (refer to
photo below) and I’m not kidding you, it might seem minor but it sort of
changed my perspective on Christmas. Thus, my blurb – those were my realizations
after this day. So what am I doing this year? I am going to be Secret Santa to
a stranger.
I was at London Drugs (Canadian equivalent of Target,
Ulta, etc. if I’m not mistaken) one day, hohing and humming along the
attractive, well-lit aisles of their cosmetic department, grabbing random nail
polishes (which I am hopelessly OBSESSED with btw, but that’s a whole different
topic for a later date). As I was
waiting in the line-up to pay, this tree caught my eye. Initially, I thought
these “Adopt-a-Senior” tags were just random paper ornaments that the staff crafted
but when I took a closer look, I realized what it said. So I immediately
grabbed one.
I thought about it for quite some time. Should I take it?
Or Should I put it back? I looked at the items listed, and thought to myself,
what the heck these seniors are not asking for much. Instead of wasting 30
something dollars on something completely useless, this could already make this
grandma’s Christmas joyful. Now I don’t know how these charities work, but at
that time, a thought dawned on me that maybe these seniors did not have a family
to spend Christmas with, let alone receive presents from. At that point, I was
already getting emotional because it always breaks my heart to see someone in
that situation especially a senior.
In a perfect world, I would’ve grabbed
every single tag from that tree but earth to Mavi, I live in a city that has
the lowest minimum wage in comparison to the rest of Canada, but yet is the
most expensive place to live in. Isn’t that odd? In the end, I only took one. I
am really hoping all those ornaments will be taken by people because what if
they don’t? Does it mean they don’t get any presents at all? I don’t even want
to
So if you live in Canada and you happen to stop by a
London Drugs store, I’m pretty sure they have these trees in every branch or at
least in the Vancouver area, I encourage you to take at least one of these tags.
You may find a similar one at another store and I can GUARANTEE that you will
not regret it. There is no downfall to this.
Here’s how it works:
1. Select a tag from the tree
2. Purchase the items listed
3. Drop it off at the Customer Service counter with
the tag attached to the wrapped presents.
Simple as that! Be aware that there is a deadline. For
the specific London Drugs that I took this tag from, the deadline is Dec. 16th.
These donated items will then be delivered to them between the dates of Dec. 16th
– 20th. I can’t say the same for the other branches. If you’re
interested in doing this, I suggest ask a staff member when the deadline is.
Here is the final product:
I will be delivering the package tomorrow and boy am I
excited!!
I feel buoyant, it’s that rewarding feeling you get after a good deed
that makes it that much more amazing! I’m gonna try not to only do this during
holiday season but to make it an integral part of my life. I just have to keep
my eyes open and recognize those “opportunities”.
As
I wrap up for the day, I wish you guys a very wonderful day and joyous holiday
season!
“..A beautiful sight, we’re happy tonight. Walking in a
winter wonderland.”
Ta ta for now, lovies xoxo
P.S: Feel free to comment below about how you will spend
and/or spread the cheer this season, ho ho ho! I look forward to reading ‘em :)






No comments:
Post a Comment