>Pink Bow Tie

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Post Typhoon Haiyan Life Reflection: The best things in life are free..

Cliché as this may sound, it really is true that the best things in life are free. No amount of money or material things can compare to the happiness our family’s well-being can bring. Material acquisitions only give shallow, temporary happiness in comparison to seeing one’s loved ones safe, healthy and happy. What gives pure and lasting happiness are the intangible things in life. 

Living in Canada, I have become fully aware and grateful for my privileges, although I guiltily admit; I carelessly take advantage of them at times and fail to thank God as often as I should for these blessings. What kind of blessings exactly? I think most of us can agree that the most basic, simple blessings in life such as food and water are easily overlooked.  In the first-world, when we hear the word “blessings”, we often think of fame, success, good health, having good people around, etc. Don’t get me wrong, these are all blessings indeed but my point is that, basic needs such as food and water are often taken advantage of. What we forget at times is that in other less privileged areas of the world, these basic needs are not easily accessible and is a constant concern on a day to day basis. This is specially the case in Central Philippines at the moment after the world’s strongest storm reduced the city to rubbles, washing away food & water that residents have worked so hard to gather weeks before the typhoon hit. It stripped them from all they had as it favoured nobody. There, everyone was made a victim as this calamity exposed their vulnerability and has made them helpless.


Just a little background about me: Tacloban City, Philippines is my hometown and this is the area that was hit the hardest by Typhoon Haiyan. My family over there suffered greatly and continues to suffer. Hence, this is why I focused on this particular region because this life-changing event hit so close to home (literally speaking).


 I have always placed a high importance on family but apparently not enough. When Typhoon Haiyan (Philippine Name: “Yolanda”) happened on Nov 8, boy was this event a definite eye opener for me in many ways. I realized that I have taken advantage of my family, thinking that they will always be there, just one call away. I didn’t realize how important family was up to this point. What life was really about. Suddenly, I felt ashamed and guilty about how selfish I was behaving. Here I was, complaining about my computer, being picky about food when in Philippines, my family had nothing to eat. Mind you, after coming to that realization, I lost appetite for a week, feeling guilty every spoonful I took but I knew I had to take care of myself too. Before, I worried about the most unnecessary things such as what to do on the weekend, where to go, what to wear when over there, their worry was how they were going to survive without food and water, where their missing families & friends were. Can you spell selfish?


 Most of you are on the same boat when I say that there’s always a fear of the unknown, of uncertainty and this I felt first-hand.  For the first week, when I lost contact with my family there, I imagined the worst. I heard about friends & acquaintances that died; families losing loved ones to the typhoon and people who were missing; their different experiences and stories of survival; their description of the city post typhoon. My thoughts paralyzed me. My body was here but my heart & mind weren’t. Finally, the much anticipated phone call came. As my loved ones told their share of stories about how they survived, my grandma saying: “Just one more wave, and we would’ve been done.” while my cousin described the hell-hole they were in: “I stood on the rooftop and I saw nothing but black ocean for miles & miles and dead people floating”, tears streamed down my face. I couldn’t imagine the horror they went through. Nevertheless, I was glad they were alive and safe. We were blessed and I took this as a second chance for everyone to make some major re-evaluations in life. Although a new set of challenges aroused (mainly financially), this time it seemed relatively insignificant to the anxiousness I felt anticipating to hear news about them.

I must admit, before this typhoon took place, I never fully grasped the loving sacrifices that immigrants here face just to provide a good life for their families back home. I spent money superfluously (i.e., Buying things I already have, impulse buying, not considering prices). I was embarrassingly absorbed in the materialistic world. Yes, I would send money for my grandparents back home; however I perceived my help as only being supplementary but now I am starting to experience how it feels like to have someone turn to me for financial support, even for a little while. As a result, I’ve become even more motivated to work knowing that in 2 weeks I’ll be able to ease their burden and put a smile on their faces once again. I’m proud to say that I am starting to learn how to live a simple, humble life in order to provide assistance. It’s a work in progress but do I regret it? No. Not even an iota. Residing in one of the most developed countries, we are privileged but we should not let it stop there. We have the resources so let us give back in our own way, pay it forward. Don’t underestimate the help we give to the less privileged. What matters is what we do here on Earth, not the material acquisitions & worldly wealth. This is what determines our life path and the hereafter.

I am a believer in the saying “Everything happens for a reason” because these past events surely put things in perspective. It made me think about things that I normally don’t think about. My heart breaks for the people who are in this ordeal and my hometown. The memories in this place are abundant. Undoubtedly, this city will bounce back in no time, seeing how determined the local people are to making this happen however I can’t help but grieve for what once was. Somehow it won’t be the same. The place I once was so familiar with is gone. This wistfulness led me to the realization that nothing in life is constant and it was hard to accept in the beginning. I wept for days but we have to adapt and let go, let God. I learned that no matter how much planning you do, or how much control you exert over a situation, if it is not HIS will, it will not happen. I don’t know what his plans are, but whatever it is, I hope people will never lose hope & faith in him no matter how hard or how confusing the situation may get.


In closing, I would like to invite you all to think about this: If today was our last day on earth, if we were in an apocalyptic age and you’re down to your last food & water I bet everybody would act differently (and no I’m not referring to violence). The problem with this generation is we only think about the present, what’s in front of us and care too little for the future. Most importantly, we do not prepare and make it easy for future generations, our children’s generation. We do not think that they will have to suffer because of our irresponsible behaviours. While it’s not too late, let us change our mindset. All our actions are a result of the way we think. Let us protect our beautiful Earth – conserve water, power and recycle. Promote a greener living. You don’t know what you have until it’s gone but are you going to wait for that to happen? I for sure as hell won’t. To an extent, the future is determined by the actions we take now. As for family, if you put your family as a last priority, think twice. I know we are torn when it comes to this, given we live in a very fast-paced society - working 9 hr shifts or more, having 2-3 jobs. We have to keep up right? But is this really worth it? Think long & hard. Remember time is of the essence. It is something you can never get back. Let your family know as often as you can how much you love them and how important they are to you because there is no such thing as saying or showing love and appreciation too much. Nobody wants to live in regret for the things that were left unsaid or the actions that weren’t done. It’s not too late

As I end this long entry, I encourage you all to reflect on your life. Learn to appreciate, & treasure what you have while they are still present and don’t be careless. One thing we can learn from life is to celebrate the present and prepare for the future.

With that said, here’s to second chances! 

Until next time lovies xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment